If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart.--A
“Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father and how familiar his face is to us.” President Benson

Thursday

April Fool's Six Years Ago

Six years ago, John and I were waiting to hear from medical schools. We were basically waiting to see if the the Lord was going to keep us in Utah or send us into the unknown. We hadn't received a letter from the U of U yet, and were anxiously waiting.

I went to get the mail, and there it was, a letter from the U, so I called John and asked what he wanted me to do. He told me to open it. I told him, we didn't get in, not even wait listed. He said, "Are you fooling me?" I told him no, with great big tears rolling down my cheeks. We were both feeling like this was a rotten April fool's joke. We knew we were in for a big adventure, we just didn't know where yet.

So next I did one of thee hardest things I have probably ever done, and went to tell my parents. My dad was out back, and so I walked in the backyard, and told him, "Dad, I know you are not going to believe me, but this is not an April fool's joke...we didn't get in at the U." He just looked at his 8 month pregnant daughter, who was holding her not yet two year old son, looking for some smile that I might not be able to hide. But there was no smile. So he threw the shovel he was holding, and came to give me a big hug. Then he wanted to see the letter for validity. He was very emotional as only fathers who are tender hearted like him can be. He would miss me, of this I was very sure.

In all honesty I can't remember how my mother found out. She too was pretty heart broken. They wanted John to call the U to make sure there hadn't been some mistake. They didn't understand then, nor did we, the journey the Lord had planned for us for our growth.

I would NEVER take back my experiences in Oregon. I miss Oregon extensively. The people we meet will change our lives forever. It will always be our home away from home. I may have grown up in Utah, but I learned to be a grown up in Oregon. The Lord knows us, and what is best!

0 comments: